Bouncer receives 6 month suspended sentence for assault

A bouncer who physically assaulted a drunk man causing actual bodily harm has been given a six month suspended sentence and ordered to pay £250 in compensation.

The 33 year old bouncer admitted beating a man outside a nightclub and then lying about how it happened to Police in a statement. The Court accepted that the victim was demonstrating ‘intimidating’ behaviour after being denied entry for being too drunk but the video footage shows the bouncer viciously attacking the man with punches and kicks whilst he was on the floor.

His colleagues were cleared of perverting the course of justice as they claimed the victim threw the first punch and was severely inebriated having drunk 10 shots of vodka previously.

The victim received nasty bruising to his face and torso and was unable to work for three days.

The attacker has been banned from working in security and the club manager said:

“We’re running things very differently here now. All of the door staff are new and all of the bar staff are new.”

Violence outside of nightclubs is sadly fairly common in the early hours with alcohol playing a large part, however, no one has the right to physically assault you. You can defend yourself using a reasonable degree of bodily force if you feel you are at risk of a violent assault.

A criminal injury is fairly self-explanatory; it is an act of criminal violence that leaves you with a personal injury. An injury can result from any number of situations or places including clubs, pubs, incidents in public places and even incidents at work.

If you feel you have recently been the victim in an act of criminal violence, the good news is that you could be entitled to make a criminal injury compensation claim so that any costs you incurred can be recovered.

A few examples of criminal injuries that have resulted in successful criminal injury compensation claims include:

  • Wounding
  • Assault
  • Sexual offenses
  • Broken Bones

If you have been the victim of any of the above, or feel that you have a different case where compensation could be due, we can help you to claim compensation for any costs that you may have incurred as a direct result of the incident.

These can include:

  • Lost wages through absence at work
  • Medical CostsCriminal injuries are compensated for by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). You may be able to claim for a range of different items, including pain and suffering, loss of earnings, medical costs, personal effects and out of pocket expenses.